Sunday, September 4, 2011

Form, Format, and My Love of Pithy Statements Combined with Somewhat Relevant Illustrations

I am a formalist. What I mean is that I love form, I think that form is as informative as word choice, plot, metaphor, and every other signifier used to create meaning, to use semiotics for a moment. I have never seen the movie "Beloved" because I believe that the book Beloved is so reliant upon it's form to convey meaning that the movie cannot be the same thing. Yes, Dear Reader, I know they are actually not the same thing. But I feel that Beloved is so deeply reliant upon form that it doesn't really translate visually.

I think I love genre so much because I love form. There are rules to form and genre, the rules can be bent, but not broken, and true creativity lies in the writer's ability to function within the rules. The natural extension of this logic is that I also love Twitter. I think I would love it if more people were creative, and when they are I have a great time browsing randomly. I, however, do not need to be greeted "good morning Tweeps" by my high school friends, @kristyamaguchi (much as I adore), or @stephenfry. Don't judge who I follow.

Having said all that, here is a new form I have embraced to help with the burning desire I have had to call that guy who dumped me and cry about how sad I am from reading too many articles about 9/11.




Go here to understand what this card means.

Who knew misery and creativity got along so well?

No comments:

Post a Comment