Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hooray for Sweater Season!


I am all over the place to day so forgive me if this is not the most cohesive post.  First of all, I know it has been a while since I posted.  I took an Internet break on the 11th; I did not feel like chatting that day, and then the week just ran off on me.  Despite it passing so quickly, this week was pretty great.  I orchestrated my first free day since May, the weather has been lovely since Thursday, and my excitement for the fall TV season has kept me going on a super fun high.   For clarification, a free day is not a sick day, a holiday, a weekend, or a lack of work.  A free day is when one has the option to work but chooses to get a manicure and go shopping instead.  I love free days.   In addition to my free day I went out with my family on Friday, and had a night on the town last night too.  Added to all of this activity, I also managed to tidy up around the apartment a bit and bake some gluten free cornbread muffins.  I just can’t stop the energy flowing, and it is all due to my love of television. 

Not only to I spend somewhere between 48 and 60 hours a week as a cog in the machine that turns out a major network show, but I am also an avid consumer of network programming.  I enjoy cable shows too, and feel particularly indebted to cable as the driving force behind a greater creativity for the networks.  I just love television.  On Saturdays I even like to watch movies on TV and cook or clean during the commercial breaks.   My buzz this week lead me to create a new ecard.  Here it is:


I think it is pretty true too.  If I had new episodes of my favorite jams (“Criminal Minds,” “Castle,” or “The Big Bang Theory” especially) I think I would have been feeling fine in like, two weeks.

Guys, you know what else has me feeling pretty good?  I feel so honored that you folks have been reading my blog!  I know that what I have to say is pretty specific to my life and my writing, but ya’ll keep coming back to see what I have to say and I thank you for that. 

So, what is going on with the writing, you ask?  Well, I have been chugging away at editing what can loosely be called the first act.  Overall, I am pleased with what I have down on the page.  I think my characters are pretty believable, and the dialogue is not terrible.  Some of my chapters are pretty great, if I do say so myself.  Here is a chapter I like, just for fun.  Luckily for you, it is the first one.

When I look at the chapters that I struggled with, I am much less enthusiastic about this whole endeavor.  I have chatted with some writers, some friends, and some writers who are friends, and I have been given a lot of different perspectives and ideas.  I chose to “just get something down on paper” but now I just want to scrap the bad stuff and start fresh on those chapters.  Maybe not go in a different direction, but certainly not allow some of the frankly terrible and clichéd drivel that I wrote continue to exist.  Readers, who I am so thrilled and lucky to have, what do you think?  Please leave a comment or two with any advice about the process, or reactions to the chapter I just gave you.  Please?  I would love a comment!  Mom, feel free to refrain from "oh honey it's great."

Some non-sequiturs that I want to share with my tiny public: I learned how to curl my hair with a straightening iron this weekend-which I find to be a thrilling oxymoron-and I have to go because I think my kitten just ate some plastic.  Also, this.

No comments:

Post a Comment